Emma’s top 7 Rom Coms!
I love romantic comedy genre films for their romance, the intimate relationships often with a bit of passion thrown in, the humour that makes you laugh and most of all they usually end with a ‘happy ever after’ ending!
One convention of romantic comedy is ‘the love triangle’ it is when characters love each other but often no one likes each other, just like in Bridget Jones’s Diary, between characters Daniel Cleaver, Bridget Jones and Marc Darcy.
My top seven romantic comedies are:
- Sabrina (1954) I love this film as it stars Audrey Hepburn as the main female character Sabrina and for its unexpected twist on who the love interest really is!
- Down with Love (2003) This film is a favourite of mine as its all about feminism and the woman having the power and the plot has a great twist to it.
- Love Actually (2003) This romantic comedy makes me smile, its shares lots of different stories about couples and their loves lives but with bringing great elements of humour and passion all set around the time of Christmas.
- The Holiday (2006) Another rom com based around Christmas. I love this one as I love how the two main female characters although have tragic loves lives to begin with end up finding love in the most unexpected places. It’s a great romantic comedy for the whole family.
- Valentine’s Day (2010) Valentine’s Day is one of my favourite days of the year so this film resonates with me very strongly. I love the star studded cast along with all the drama, love and laughter as all the couples in the movie try to get through the day!
- Clueless (1995) A cult classic film based on the adaptation of Emma, this film is a favourite of mine as it deals with all sorts of issues that every young woman deals with, break-ups, relationships, friendships, family and of coming of age plus its’ got some great one liners, “Whatever”.
- Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001) I love this romantic comedy for its raw honest humour from the character Bridget Jones and its overall Slapstick comedy.